How do I send a same day / CHAPS Payment?
You can self-serve by completing the below steps.
From your Online Banking 'Home' screen:
- Click 'Move Money' - tab across top
- Click 'Same day payment (CHAPS)' - on left hand side
- Select the account you would like to make the CHAPS payment from
- Select your preferred contact phone number
- Select whether you are paying an existing, or new payee
- Select whether you are paying a person, or a business
- Type in the details of the person you want to pay, including their full name, or registered / trading name - if paying a business
- You may have to wait a few moments while we check the details with the recipient bank
- You will then receive either:
- confirmation that your payee details match
- a message highlighting there is a partial match - which will provide a suggested payee name. You can either click 'More information' or 'Accept suggestion'
- confirmation that your payee details don't match
- a message highlighting the account you're trying to pay doesn't allow us to check if the details are correct
- Irrespective of the message you receive, you can click 'Continue'
- If you have previously clicked 'Continue' when your payee details don't match, you'll be presented with a message confirming that by continuing, this payment and future payments, could be sent to the wrong bank and we may not be able to recover the money, you can either click 'Cancel', or proceed at your own risk by clicking 'Continue'
- Or if you clicked 'Continue' when the account you're trying to paydoesn't allow us to check the details, you'll also be presented with a similar message, you can either click 'Cancel', or proceed at your own risk by clicking 'Continue'
- Alternatively, you could see a message to confirm that unfortunately we are not able to cjheck your details at this time, you can either try again later and click 'Cancel' or proceed at your own risk by clicking 'Continue'
- Scroll down a little and type the amount you wish to pay
- Type in your 'Reference for payee'
- Type in your 'Reference' - for your records
- Select a 'Payment purpose', so we can make security checks and provide relevant fraud information. This is a mandatory step
- You will then see some important information, which you should carefully read, to help protect you against Fraud and Scams
- Once you have carefully read and are happy with the information provided, you can select to confirm you're happy to make the payment
- Click 'Continue'
- Scroll down and carefully check the details
- Some customers are still charged to make CHAPS payments, although for the majority of personal customers there is no charge
- Follow the next step using your Barclays app, or your PINsentry reader
- Enter the 8 digit code that appears on your PINsentry reader
- Once you are happy click 'Confirm'
- Your same day domestic payment has been sent
- You can then download or print your receipt by clicking the relevant button in the top right of your screen - then go back to the 'Home' page or exit
How helpful did you find this article?
Thank you for leaving some feedback
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. We will use this information to improve our service.
Sorry this didn't answer your question
Please take a moment to leave some feedback, using the form below. PLEASE NOTE: Do not include any personal or account details: we cannot answer specific questions about your account.
Thank you for your rating
Please tell us why you found it useful using the form below. PLEASE NOTE: Do not include any personal or account details: we cannot answer specific questions about your account.