What is identity theft and how does it occur?
Identity theft occurs when fraudsters use your personal information without your knowledge or consent to take out bank accounts, credit cards, loans, state benefits and documents such as passports and driving licenses in your name.
To help protect yourself it is recommended:
- You shred bills, bank statements and other documents containing your personal details before disposing of them.
- When making a payment with your bank card never allow the card to leave your line of sight.
- If you use social networking sites, display as little personal data on your page as possible.
- If you suspect your mail is being stolen, contact the Royal Mail Customer Enquiry Line on 0845 774 0740 to check if a mail redirection order has been made in your name without your knowledge.
- If you move house, ask Royal Mail to redirect your mail and advise the companies that you do business with straight away.
How helpful did you find this article?